Thursday, 5 March 2015

Day 9: Environment Tests and Character Finalization

So today I started off storyboarding some more, but didn't do nearly enough work on that - I think I need some time to actually figure out how this is going to play out visually - I am still yet to do the gags - I feel like I'm getting behind with that.

I did do some work, though - I'm finally getting used to the art choices I made and changed up Ares and Anubis to fit along side Centeotl.

Not sure if Anubis looks better with two or one ear showing on his side views.


Some vase colours for Ares - it will probably influences the final colours of the design.


Also did some alternative backgrounds to see if Centeotl works in the environment designs I had in mind.

Painty dye:

Not colouring inside the lines:


A mixture of the two above:


They were all really quickly whipped up, but I'm not sure it's really working - I may need to do a more flat gradient filled backgrounds - I'm still loving the paper texture, so I could get inspirations from the backgrounds of South Park and Wander Over Yonder.

Next up is Nezha's design (which I've started, but he looks weird, so I wont post it just yet) and the story board, which is priority...... I just hate doing it.

4 comments:

  1. Anubis looks a lot better now :)

    The mixture of designs seems very paper story in a way,like a kid is retelling a tale.
    Not sure if thats what you want though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! - I think I will go with keeping two ears all the time, to maintain that silhouette

    The only mood I'm trying to convey at this point is a cartoony slapstick kind of thing - I think I've nailed that for the character designs, but I'm not sure if the backgrounds really do that justice

    ReplyDelete
  3. those backgrounds don't seem to fit the angular style and colour of your characters, the character doesn't feel like he fits with the world. perhaps some simpler shapes or more abstract backgrounds

    ReplyDelete
  4. as well, maybe adding a painted texture to your animated character, this can be done in post production with after effects. this might help him blend more within shots

    ReplyDelete